Saturday, January 21, 2012

Rear end improvements

I decided to sort a couple of areas at the rear of the car today. The first part the got my attention was the number plate, this had been attached with just adhesive pads to the chrome surround and had started to make a bid for freedom. I bought a new set of front and rear plates in the week as the ones on the car were just starting to get a little tatty, £8 from ebay. I decided to fix them on properly with screws starting with the rear.

The next part I turned my attention to was the rear lamp cluster surround trims. As standard the Sovereign had chrome surrounds, the previous owner had painted them body colour along with a

number of other parts, to try and modernise the look of the car I think. I've decided I prefer the traditional Jaguar chrome look and want that for the car so found a couple of spare chrome surrounds in the shed and fitted them. They brighten things up nicely.

They are very easy to fit and can be added to any XJ40 that doesn't already have them. I removed the four screws that secure each lamp cluster to the body and popped them out to make fitting easier. The two nearest the wing aren't as easy to remove but can be done by reaching in a spanner. The outer sides of the surrounds have two tabs that clip around the edge of the lens, the inner side has two larger tabs that must be folded around the inner edge of the lens to hold the surround in place.

0 comments:

Post a Comment