Tuesday, April 17, 2012

3rd time stopped in 12 months for no front plate... - MDStreetScene

3rd time stopped in 12 months for no front plate...

Got me once again, traveling East on Rt70 from Frederick towards Columbia.

This time, the Trooper had a car stopped on right hand shoulder, lights flashing. I was in right lane, traveling with wife, top down, and moved over 1 lane when I saw that he was engaged in another traffic stop. Went by him with cruise set on 68mph, in a 65. No biggy, went on by him with no drama. 1-2 miles later, he comes barreling down on me. I had moved back over to the right lane after we originally passed him, and cruise was still set on 68. He lights me up, and we pull over.

I was traveling with top down, windows up, and rear screen up. I immediately lower everything so he can see in, put the car in park, and throw my hands on the steering wheel, palms up. He approaches the car, and states that the reason for the stop is failure to display a front registration plate. My response was "Yep." He asks for license and registration. I informed him that I had to reach behind my passenger's seat, into a cubby that's built into the rear shelf of the SL, to get my registration. He takes a step back, puts hand on holster, and tells me to go ahead.

He returns to this car with my information and to my surprise, returns to my vehicle within 2-3 minutes. Rather short for a traffic stop, I thought.

"Mr Benz-O-Rama, I understand that with this a car like this, you're probably not excited to display a front registration plate, and I get that. But Maryland law states that any vehicle registered in the state of Maryland must display a front and rear plate." "I also see that you were stopped in October for the very same thing".....long pause as he looks over top of the rim of his sunglasses.

Me: Yes sir. I don't have a good answer for you, other than I didn't put one on after that stop.

Trooper: Looks like you guys are going on a trip. Have fun.

That was on Friday the 13th. He never mentioned the obvious illegal tint. He had to have known....

Be respectful, take a defensive approach, and try to make THEM feel as comfortable as possible.

__________________
2004 E500 - Eurocharged ECU, VRP headers and E55 exhaust. #1 record holder on dragtimes (13.49@102.5)
2005 SL600 - OE Tuning ECU/ Speedriven TCU - #1 record holder on dragtimes (11.02@126)
2010 3.6L Cadillac CTS Swagger Wagon

0 comments:

Post a Comment